Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Southern Style Buttermilk Biscuits & Gravy

Southern Style Buttermilk Biscuits & Gravy


Southern Style Buttermilk Biscuits & Gravy

Print Recipe

Biscuits:
Makes about 15 biscuits

INGREDIENTS:
  • 4 cups of all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons of baking powder (I know it seems like a lot, it really is tablespoons)
  • 1/4 teaspoons of baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons of salt
  • 4 tablespoons of sugar
  • 1/2 cup of unsalted butter cold and cut into chunks
  • 1 1/2 cups of buttermilk
  • Extra butter, melted (for slathering on top)
DIRECTIONS:
  • Preheat the oven to 475°
  • Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, & sugar in a medium bowl

  • Throw in all the chunks of butter, and using your hands, smash together with the flour until crumbly




  • Add in the buttermilk--at first it will seem like maybe you don't have enough moisture, but you will once your start kneading it



  • Sprinkle some flour a clean surface, dump the dough onto the flour, and sprinkle the top with a little bit more flour (not much!)
  • Knead together gently. I usually fold it in half and push it down, folding it about 20 times

  • Once kneaded, pat out the dough with your hands into a circle (mine is hardly a circle) that is of your desired thickness (this time I think my biscuites were a little too flat, I like them fluffier, so next time I'll make the rounds thicker) The biscuites tend to double in size

  • Cut with a cookie cutter or a cup that is as big as you want the biscuit. I used a wine glass last time... Gently refold the scraps into a thick circle and continue cutting until all the dough is used up. Once I get to where I can't cut anymore biscuits, I use my hands to shape a small one so nothing is wasted

  • Brush the tops of the unbaked biscuits with some melted butter 

  • Bake for about 5-6 minutes. Rotate the pan, and bake for another 2-3 minutes until golden brown

  • Let cool on a cooling rack (or don't) and serve with the gravy. 

Sausage Gravy

Makes enough for about 8 biscuits depending on how much gravy you like

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 pound of ground breakfast sausage (I usually use jimmy dean)
  • 4-8 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
  • 3 cups of milk (I use 1%)
  • salt & pepper to taste
DIRECTIONS:
  • Heat a large skillet on medium heat
  • In the heated skillet, cook the sausage until there is no pink left
  • Cover the sausage with flour, one tablespoon at a time. In between each four addition, cook the sausage, stirring often, so that the flour turns brown
  • I usually use about 7 tablespoons because I like my gravy thick. This is when the tablespoon of flour that I just added is no longer able to turn brown
  • Add the 3 cups of milk all at once 
  • Stir constantly over medium heat until the gravy is thickened. You can turn it up to medium-high if it is having a hard time thickening
  • Serve over biscuits and enjoy with a freshly brewed cup of coffee out of your favorite mug


Nutrition Information:

Biscuits for 1 biscuit out of 15:


Gravy for 1 biscuit if split into 8 servings:



Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment