Sunday, July 8, 2012

Soft Snickerdoodles

Soft Snickerdoodles



Snickerdoodles
Recipe from: Joy of Baking


INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 3/4 cups of all purpose flour (I use King Arthur)
  • 1/2 of a teaspoon of salt
  • 2 teaspoons of baking powder
  • 1 cup of unsalted butter at room temperature 
  • 1 1/2 cups of sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract (don't use vanilla "flavoring")
  • For the coating:
    • 1/3 cup white sugar
    • 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
      • There will be extra, so I save it and use it every time I make snickerdoodles
DIRECTIONS:
  • Preheat the oven to 400°
  • Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper
  • Make the coating in a shallow bowl by mixing the sugar and cinnamon together

  • In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder

  • In the bowl of a stand mixer (or a big bowl) beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy--2 to 3 minutes


  • Add the eggs, one at a time. Beat well after each one


  • Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add vanilla

  • Beat well and add the flour mixture

  • Scrape down the sides of the bowl again

  • The dough will be soft, but it should still be oily enough to roll without it being too sticky. If you can't roll it, then cover and refrigerate until firm (1-2 hours). I honestly have never done that because I'm impatient and don't mind having sticky hands 
  • I struggled to find the best way to get these to be red, white, & blue. My friend Michelle helped me by pouring red food coloring all over my hands in an attempt to color each cookie individually...didn't work so well. So thanks to her brilliant idea, I split the dough into 3 sections. I used red food coloring in one bowl

And blue in the other


  • Using about a teaspoon worth of each dough, roll out little balls in all 3 colors and set aside
  • Combine them into your hand in a line
Don't be fooled by how large these look...I have tiny hands

  • Then roll together to make one cookie dough ball

  • Place the dough in the cinnamon mixture and roll around until evenly coated

  • Place all the dough balls you can fit onto the cookie sheets--with a couple inches between each one

  • Then, using a flat bottomed cup, gently squish the cookies to flatten them--keep them about 1/2 an inch thick

  • Bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes, or until they are light golden brown on the bottom and around the edges
  • Place on a wire rack to cool



Approximate Nutrition Information: For 1 cookie

(remember that this varies depending on how big your cookies are, and what brands of product you use)

For me, I ended up with about 40 cookies





Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment